Planning a wedding is stressful enough. You have to worry about guest lists, seating arrangements, and keeping within a set budget. But your honeymoon is the icing on your wedding cake. It’s the celebratory start of your new life together as a husband and wife. You both get to fly away to the destination of your choice for the pure purposes of romance, relaxation and spending your days doing whatever makes you and your spouse happy.
If you envision honeymooning in a tropical paradise, remember this — Belize-ing is believing. Belize offers a unique honeymoon experience that goes way beyond lounging on its spectacular beaches. You want your honeymoon to be a unique travel experience, somewhere your friends and family have not visited before. Let’s face it – you also want your honeymoon photos to be worthy of being desktop screensavers, and to receive those coveted “ooh” and “aah” reactions when posting on social media.
Top 7 Reasons Why Belize is the Best Bet for Your Honeymoon
- Belize is a short flight away. While other favorite honeymoon spots like Hawaii, Fiji, and Tahiti require a full day of travel, you can be in Belize in just a few short hours. Daily flights are offered by major airlines, and it’s only a 2-hour flight from Dallas, 3-hour flight from Atlanta, and a 4-hour flight from Chicago.
- Belize has fabulous year-round weather. Whether you choose to honeymoon immediately after your wedding or put it off a few months, you can honeymoon in Belize during any month of the year, without the worry of it having a severe weather season. Belize boasts an average high temperature of 84 degrees all year-round, and its so-called rainy season only gets – at most – about one hour of rainfall a day.
- You’ll never get bored in Belize. If you are a nature lover, beach bum, diving fanatic, history buff, or foodie, you’ll have many activities to keep you busy in Belize. From beaches and caves to rainforests and ruins, you can experience it all. Belize also has the second largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere. You can also easily cross the border into Mexico and Guatemala to experience even more things to do, see and explore.
- Belize is beautiful. Belize offers a picturesque, romantic backdrop for any honeymoon. Stunning vistas, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, sparkling azure-colored waters, soft powdery sand, exotic rainforests, and historical, archaeological sites, all set the breathtaking scene for your honeymoon.
- Belizeans welcome tourists with open arms. The people of Belize are friendly, warm and often greet tourists when passing them in the street. Many Belizeans have family members that live in North America, and they share the same pop culture passions as Americans. Therefore, honeymooners feel welcome in Belize and can easily chat with locals. Speaking of speaking with locals, brings us to the next reason why Belize is the ideal honeymoon destination.
- Belize is an English-speaking country that accepts U.S. dollars. Unlike most other Latin American countries, Belize is an English-speaking nation. Although Spanish is widely spoken too, you can count on all signs, restaurant menus, and more, to be in English, which makes it convenient when dining, shopping, and exploring. Belize has its own currency, but U.S. dollars are widely accepted so you can avoid the hassles and rates of having to exchange currency for your trip.
- Belize is safe. Belize does show a high crime rate, but it’s important to note that the majority of serious crimes happen in Belize City, which unfortunately skews the numbers for the entire country. Crimes against tourists are rare, and visitors typically feel perfectly safe outside of the capital city.
What to Do on Your Belize Honeymoon
Belize gives honeymooners the ideal mix of relaxation and adventure, combined with exquisite scenery. As it’s slightly off the beaten path from other Latin American and Caribbean travel destinations, you won’t have to compete with crowds of tourists to take advantage of all the that Belize has to offer.
Below is are some unforgettable experiences to add to your Belize Honeymoon Must-Do List.
- Great Blue Hole. As a UNESCO site made famous by Jacques Cousteau, who declared it one of the top five scuba diving sites in the world, no trip to Belize is complete without seeing this deep blue abyss with your own eyes. You can experience the Great Blue Hole through a diving day trip, flying over it in a helicopter or plane, or snorkeling while peering into its depths.
- Mayan Ancient Ruins. Belize is home to several Mayan Ruins to check out. One of them is Altun Ha, where you can view two plazas with pyramids, tombs, temples, and ceremonial mounds. The biggest highlight is the Sun God’s Tomb, also called the Temple of the Masonry Altars. Other ruins, such as Lamanai and Caracol are also worth a visit.
- Cave Systems. Belize has an extensive network of caves, which the ancient Maya believed linked the living and the dead. One such cave is Actun Tunichil Muknal, which is one of the most well-known Mayan burial sites in Western Belize. In fact, National Geographic had named it one of the Top 10 Sacred Caves.
- Monkey River Tour and Jungle Hike. Take a day tour gliding down the Monkey River while you pass by wildlife on the shore. You can then trek into the jungle to see and hear the howling monkeys, and exotic flora and fauna.
Where to Stay on Your Belize Honeymoon
Orchid Bay, located in Northern Belize, is perched on the edge of a diverse marine biosphere and experiences less annual rainfall than anywhere else in Belize. The property offers a variety of accommodations for honeymooners. You can stay in a Beach Cabana, Beachfront Condo, or Private Home. Orchid Bay allows you to enjoy first-class amenities and modern conveniences while having easy access to the best of Belize.
Whichever accommodations you chose, you and your loved one can soak in views of powdery white sand, shimmering blue water, and tropical gardens. Orchid Bay is situated on the most stunning beach with 7 miles of coastline. The resort offers a gorgeous infinity pool where you can sit back and relax while sipping on a drink from the Pool Bar or Swing Bar. Orchid Bay’s Tradewinds restaurant, which is located right on the beach, offers farm-to-table flavorful dishes and specialty cocktails. Take in the resort’s surrounding tropical lush gardens, with over 200 varieties of wild orchids and diverse species of birds.
There are plenty of activities to enjoy right at the resort, including complimentary use of stand-up paddle boards, kayaks, and beach volleyball. Orchid Bay can also arrange for fishing trips, snorkeling in the Northern Belize Barrier Reef, visiting the Lamanai ruins, rum crawls, bird watching, taking a day trip to Chetamul, Mexico, and many more tours and excursions.
Belize is beautiful, easily accessible, and you’ll have lots to explore while celebrating your newlywed bliss. Contact Orchid Bay to plan to your stay, and say “I do” to honeymooning in Belize!